Tuesday, March 23

Updates with some new stuff mixed in

As I struggled with a topic for this latest entry, I decided it would be best to revisit some open ended things I discussed in previous entries as I'm sure many of you have been anxiously awaiting news and/or you've recently started blog-stalking me. Join me, won't you, on this stroll down memory lane:

1. The Dark Chocolate Peanut Butter Prince....oh man. This is what I'm currently working with:

What's a girl to do? Do I succumb to my masochistic desire to purchase another jar of this crack in peanut butter form...or do I sever all ties and never look back? I'm not quite sure I can go on in this world knowing that it's out there and I don't have it in my possession.

2. Still no blender for my Amazing Grass smoothies. Damnit Bed, Bath and Beyond. Where are you when I need you the most?

3. I have big news to share in the running world!!! I have signed up for a half marathon. 13 miles. 13.2 miles to be precise. yikes. EDIT: According to Rachel-
Bad news. A half marathon is 13.1 miles but you can run an extra .1 if you want
Yeah. No. I'm all set with 13.1. See? It just got a lot easier!!! This race scares me for a couple of reasons. The first being that I've never run that far before and the second is that I will be running it on my own. Sean won't be home from Ireland yet and my other running buddy, Jenn, will be out of town. So that leaves me. On the plus side, I have already drafted Mama and Papa Dukes to come up from the south to cheer me on as I cross the finish line (and take me out for a gigantic dinner and beers after- but they don't know that part yet).

My relationship with running is progressing quite nicely. I think we might move in together soon. We'll see how the half goes. It really is a love/hate relationship.

Things I love about running:
1. the fact that it's a challenge. I feel SO accomplished when I achieve my goal, whether its a time record, mileage record, or just getting out the door on a particular day.
2. the way my body feels during and after. I feel so strong and alive when I'm running. The burning in my quads and hamstrings reminds me I'm doing something good for myself (it also reminds me I get to eat like 500 extra calories when I get home to make up for it)
3. the ease of it. I have absolutely NO hand-to-eye coordination. If you throw a ball towards me, it WILL hit me in face. So I enjoy running because it simply requires me to lace up my sneakers and hit the streets.

Things I hate about running:
1. the fact that it's a challenge.
I'm stubborn and sometimes a bit lazy. Some days the last thing I want to do is push myself, other days I get really frustrated when I run past some smiling girl with her bouncy ponytail. I want to punch her. Why is she smiling? This is pain.
2. the way my body feels during and after. My legs feel like they might fall off as I'm running up the big hill near my house. and I swear there has been a time or two when I was absolutely positive I was, in fact, going to die out there on the road.
3. the ease of it (or lack thereof). My nose runs. I don't breathe the right way. What's my time? What are my splits? When should I stretch? What are GU packets? Oh man. The lists goes on...

4. I have decided to do Chew On This with my kids! We started a conversation yesterday about fast food and we are currently watching Supersize Me. I took a poll to see how often they eat fast food. Of the 69 students I've polled so far, 47 of them said they eat fast food MORE THAN TWICE A WEEK. That correlates to roughly 68% of my students. YIKES. (Rachel, did I do that math right? I'm pretty sure I did. You should be proud) I am really excited about this unit. In addition to the book, we are going to watch Food, Inc. and study some other news articles, magazines, and hopefully catch some of Jamie Oliver's special.

5. I still hate leggings.

2 comments:

VL - victoriaINkansas said...

We read Chew On This with our 8th graders this year - it was a little tedious in spots because it is non-fiction, but overall it was GREAT. And they all still eat too much fast food.

Sean said...

What is an effective way of changing the behavior of the smaller segment of population that consumes the most ff? What is the cause of this trend?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...