Friday, March 12

Food Bloggers are liars (aka I'm a dummy)

I mentioned in a previous post my mission to try some of the healthy items on my list. Over the weekend I managed to pick up this bad boy from Whole Foods.
(do you like that I included the plant in the background. I felt like it was appropriate symbolism for the plants inside that jar)

I was excited for this for a number of reasons. It's all the rave all over the food blog world and I am bombarded with images of happy bloggers slugging their "Green Monsters", as they call these smoothie concoctions, and happily detailing the latest combos. More importantly, I was really impressed with the nutritional info:

spinach disguised in chocolate form? ummm yes please. sign me up!

Now, I tend to be a bit on the stubborn side. Those of you that know me personally, I'm suuuuure are shaking your heads in disbelief, "what? Marie, stubborn? nooooo" but yes, folks, it is true. So immediately after purchasing the Amazing Grass I wanted to use it. However, we don't have a blender. I scoured high and low for one of the 3948038409183 Bed Bath & Beyond coupons we get in the mail all the time so I could run out and get one (hey 20% off is a good deal!) but alas, I had thrown them all out. I decided to be frugal and wait on a new blender until the next coupon comes in the mail, since the usually come like every other day anyway. Of course, has fate would have it...its been almost a week and still no BB &B coupon.

So tonight I got stubborn and decided that food bloggers make it look so easy. I could probably do it in a food processor instead of a blender. ha. this is where the "they are liars and I'm a dummy" title comes from. complete and utter FAIL.


Yes that is chocolate liquid spilling out all over my counters and cabinets. oops.

I tried making two batches. The first batch was banana, almond milk, ice, scoop of amazing grass, and spinach. The food processor couldn't handle the ice and banana and spinach all at once so it was chunky and naaaaaasty. Needless to say, it ended up in the trash. Like any good chef, if at first you don't succeed, try try again. So I attempted a second batch but decided to simplify. I did:

1 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 scoop chocolate Amazing grass
ice cubes

It's much simpler than the actual "green monsters" and actually was lacking the "green" so I guess it was just a "monster"? but I could handle the chunks this go 'round. Overall, my assessment was that it was just okay. It wasn't AMAZING by any means (pun intended) but I think once I have a legit blender and can play around with recipes, I might find myself enjoying it.


In other news, on the dark chocolate peanut butter front:

Days the Dark Chocolate PB Prince has been living with me: 7
Days I've gone without eating any of it, straight from the jar: 0

Ohhhhhh PB Prince, you win....you always do.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...