Friday, July 23

Perpetually 18

I am perpetually 18 years old.

Even though I am actually 26. Even though staying out until 3 am no longer appeals to me and "those kids" play their music way too loudly. In my mind, I will always be a teenager. I mean, seriously, I still like watching Real World and consider french fries an adequate dinner.

My best friend in the entire world is getting married today. We were roommates in college and have been bffs ever since. As we've been preparing for the wedding, she made a comment that we seem too young to be getting married....and then we realized, sadly, ummm no we aren't. (We proceeded to drown our sorrows in ice cream) Likewise, planning my own wedding is such a surreal experience, I can't help but feel like a little girl playing dress up in my mother's closet.

This blog was started under the idea of "what happens in that weird space between college and adulthood" and today, more than ever, I am faced with that question. What defines us as adults?

I don't know if there is even an answer to that question. Does marriage make us adults? Is it when we buy our first house or create a new life? As my friends start getting married, buying houses, and having babies (Rachel wins the prize for being my first friend to have the "adult" trifecta- marriage, house, AND baby) I can't help but stop in my tracks, blink, and look around. I ask myself, "wait a second, wasn't I just in college last week? When did all this happen?". I start to panic. Have I done enough in my first quarter century? Where am I going next? What is going to happen?

But then, I look over and I see Sean. and I see Laura and John getting married today. and Rachel with her beautiful family. and my parents who have been together for 30 years and I feel myself begin to calm. This isn't so bad, being an adult... plus it means I get to drink margaritas whenever I want ;)


editor's note: CONGRATULATIONS TO LAURA AND JOHN TODAY! Laura, I hope you are blog stalking me as we speak and I just want you to know that I am SO happy and excited for you! You are going to make the most beautiful bride! And for all the other blog stalkers out there, stay tuned for amazing photos!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...